BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keep backup data when source host/directory changes

2013-03-06 09:47:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keep backup data when source host/directory changes
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 08:46:00 -0600
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Maarten <mtp AT milieudefensie DOT nl> wrote:

> I have a problem for which I'm not sure a proper solution exists, but
> let me try anyway.
>
> In my current setup, I have a BackupPC server with about 4.0TB of
> storage of which 2.7TB is in use. One host is responsible for most of
> the backup data (~ 1.5TB), and yesterday I migrated this host to a
> different server. Added to that, I moved the data to a different/more
> sane place on the filesystem.
>
> So now I have the situation that BackupPC has up to a year of backups of
> the old host, but there is not enough room to start backing up the new
> host/directories. And even if I did, it would be silly to backup the
> same data twice.
>
> So my question is: can anybody think of an elegant way to re-use the
> currently backed up data so that I can keep the current backups and not
> start from scratch? The not-so-elegant solution that comes to mind is to
> rename the old host on the BackupPC server and create symlinks so that
> the old directories still exist on the new server.

I think you've missed the main point of backuppc which is that it
pools all files with identical content regardless of where it finds
them.   Assuming you are storing the archive on a single filesystem
with the pool hardlinks working correctly, the old files in their new
location will be copied over once, then replaced with hardlinks to the
existing pooled copy.   After that you'll have a new directory tree
for rsync to use for subsequent runs.