BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows

2013-02-28 22:16:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows
From: Zach Underwood <zunder1990 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 19:26:11 -0500

For end user computers like laptop have the server start the backup is wrong. The problem with that example you gave with openvpn and ssh will not work because then the user would have to launch the VPN. Also the server does not know when the client is online. The way to back is laptop is a client on windows would start on boot. Then every one hour or whatever the client would connect to the server over something like SSL to run the backup.

On Feb 28, 2013 7:16 PM, "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Zach Underwood <zunder1990 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I have been using backuppc now for 3 weeks. I love the way it backups Linux
> severs. I also like how easy it installs. But the windows backup just sucks.
> Backuppc needs a real windows backup client. The windows client should be
> the one that starts the backup. By doing this you can backup over the
> internet. I wish I was a programmer so that I could help but I am just a
> sysadmin.

It's not impossible, but I don't have a good example handy so google
for backuppc and ssh tunnel.    Or, depending on what other kinds of
connections you might want with the remote site it could be more
convenient to use a generic VPN like openvpn.     With a vpn
connection across the internet you would have a private IP address
that the server can reach and could also use the web interface to
control backups and do restores.