BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows

2013-02-28 21:36:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows
From: Zach Underwood <zunder1990 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:26:47 -0500
Is there someone that I can pay to add this feature if so contact me off list. I work for a hosting company and we are looking to branch out in what we offer.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM, <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Zach Underwood wrote at about 18:27:29 -0500 on Thursday, February 28, 2013:
 > I have been using backuppc now for 3 weeks. I love the way it backups Linux
 > severs. I also like how easy it installs. But the windows backup just
 > sucks. Backuppc needs a real windows backup client. The windows client
 > should be the one that starts the backup. By doing this you can backup over
 > the internet. I wish I was a programmer so that I could help but I am just
 > a sysadmin.

Well, saying something 'sucks' and 'wishing' are not the way to get
open source developed... if you want something, you should seek to
contribute whether with your own sweat labor or alternatively paying
someone else to implement what you wish...

I have written several thousand lines of code for BackupPC utilities
and I am neither a programmer nor a sysadmin. I think I had one total
computer programming course in my whole life and that was a summer
school course 30 years ago... the point is if you want something, then
dig in and contribute...

In particular, I wanted to be able to back up all my windows machines
using rsyncd with shadow mounts plus a full acl backup and I wanted
all this to happen automatically. So, I wrote a 1000 line bash script
(shadowmountrsync) and I learned a heck of a lot of bash programming
nuggets along the way. It does what I need it to do. Michael Stowe did
a similar thing to meet his needs -- perhaps he is a 'programmer',
perhaps he isn't. If both of these 'suck', then since the scripts are
GPL, you are free to improve upon them or start yourself from scratch.

BTW, I will be releasing an updated version of shadowmountrsync soon
which adds a few nice tweaks and fixes...

Zach Underwood (RHCE,RHCSA,RHCT)