BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?

2013-02-28 18:37:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:34:43 -0600
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Mark Campbell
<mcampbell AT emediatrade DOT com> wrote:
> So I'm trying to get a BackupPC pool synced on a daily basis from a 1TB MD
> RAID1 array to an external Fireproof drive (with plans to also sync to a
> remote server at our collo).  I found the script BackupPC_CopyPcPool.pl by
> Jeffrey, but the syntax and the few examples I've seen online have indicated
> to me that this isn't quite what I'm looking for, since it appears to output
> it to a different layout.  I initially tried the rsync method with -H, but
> my server would end up choking at 350GB.  Any suggestions on how to do this?

I'm not sure anyone has come up with a really good way to do this.
One approach is to use a 3-member raid1 where you periodically remove
a drive and resync a new one.   If you have reasonable remote
bandwidth and enough of a backup window, it is much easier to just run
another instance of backuppc hitting the same targets independently.