BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows servers

2013-02-26 17:40:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows servers
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: upendra.gandhi AT gmail DOT com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:38:08 -0600

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Michael Stowe
> <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell what the drawbacks of using cygwin/ssh/rsync on the
>>> windows BackupPc clients ? I just tried it yesterday on windows xp and
>>> it worked well. I believe this method of backup should also work on
>>> 2008r2 servers?
>>
>> Drawbacks versus ... what?
>>
>> Windows in general has issues with file semantics, and its system of
>> overcoming those is essentially to use VSS, the Volume Snapshot Service.
>> For BackupPC, there have been two solutions developed, one that requires
>> ssh, and one that instead uses winexe, which leverages samba.  The ssh
>> solution encrypts in transit, but (naturally) requires the installation
>> of
>> ssh and the appropriate version of vshadow.  The winexe version has an
>> installer which takes care of the client details, but requires
>> winexe/samba installed on the BackupPC server.
>>
>> There are some minor functional differences in the implementations; the
>> ssh version backs up ACL's (in one of two ways) and the winexe version
>> handles backing up machines that are powered down.  However, the
>> features
>> aren't incompatible, and since both are scripted, can be added to either
>> one.
>
> Sorry about the confusing question. I was actually asking in general
> versus all other methods available to backup windows using BackupPC.
>
> Thanks for the information. It's certainly useful. I used method
> mentioned at http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html
> for my windows xp client. It didn't mention anything about volume
> snapshot service or vshadow. I am not sure if I am using vshadow but I
> do find a service in my windows xp named "Volume Shadow Copy " that is
> set to manual. So I guess vshadow is not being used on when backup is
> taken. Do I have to start vshadow and set to to automatic for future?

What's there is neither of the open-file solutions I describe, so you'll
either need to switch, or simply be unable to back up open files (this may
not be a problem, depending on your backup strategy.)

vshadow, the windows service, doesn't actually do anything unless it's
specifically invoked, so setting it to automatic won't do anything, nor
will starting the service by itself.  The tricky thing about transient
shadow volume copies is that they need to be invoked *before* rsync, thus
the complexity.  The windows-edition-specific program "vshadow" allows
management from the command line.