BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows servers

2013-02-26 16:29:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows servers
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: upendra.gandhi AT gmail DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:26:49 -0600
> Can someone tell what the drawbacks of using cygwin/ssh/rsync on the
> windows BackupPc clients ? I just tried it yesterday on windows xp and
> it worked well. I believe this method of backup should also work on
> 2008r2 servers?

Drawbacks versus ... what?

Windows in general has issues with file semantics, and its system of
overcoming those is essentially to use VSS, the Volume Snapshot Service.
For BackupPC, there have been two solutions developed, one that requires
ssh, and one that instead uses winexe, which leverages samba.  The ssh
solution encrypts in transit, but (naturally) requires the installation of
ssh and the appropriate version of vshadow.  The winexe version has an
installer which takes care of the client details, but requires
winexe/samba installed on the BackupPC server.

There are some minor functional differences in the implementations; the
ssh version backs up ACL's (in one of two ways) and the winexe version
handles backing up machines that are powered down.  However, the features
aren't incompatible, and since both are scripted, can be added to either
one.