BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] all backups and logs lost after reboot

2013-02-08 17:33:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] all backups and logs lost after reboot
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 16:31:59 -0600
> Hi,
>
> i'm using backuppc since end of last year on a debian server. I'm creating
> backups from a laptop, a desktop and from the server itself.
> I have setup a bind link from the system partition to the backup hdd
> (ntfs-3g) acc to the wiki.

I'm not sure what wiki recommended this, but I'm pretty sure I'd steer
clear of both bind links AND ntfs-3g, especially in conjunction with
BackupPC.

> All worked pretty fine since today.

You can probably cross the street with your eyes closed many times before
it ends in tragedy, it doesn't make it a good idea.

> I checked the backups on Sunday and they looked ok, I shut down the server
> for a few days and restarted it today:
> - backuppc started notautomatically
> - after starting it manually from console I got the error that it can't
> create a hardlink...wondering
> - looking manually for the files via mc: all (!) files are gone, the
> complete structure below /backuppc and even the log files in /var/log are
> gone
> - the installation of the programm seems to be ok, the files are still
> there
>
> The parameters regarding FullKeepCnt are still at the standard value (the
> pl-file is still there from Sunday).
>
> Any ideas what has happend???

Bind links tangle up the file system in awesome ways that require
particularly careful administration.  It's common, if not utterly
expected, for an inattentive operator to wipe out entire directory
structures by not being perfectly careful with semantics.

I'm not clear on why you'd be using NTFS, but I wouldn't be shocked in the
least if that is alternative source of the disappearance of your files.

Those statements being made, you're asking for speculation, but not
providing basic troubleshooting information like, what's on the mount now?
 Is it still bound in both places?  Is the NTFS partition dirty?