BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Added Directories and Incremental

2013-01-14 10:37:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Added Directories and Incremental
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:35:53 -0600
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Travis Schwenke
<travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> So, now that I have backuppc running, the Ubuntu distribution had setup up a
> Tar backup of /etc for localhost.  I went in and added a couple of locations
> to that backup. (TarShareName from GUI)
>
> The next incremental looks like it found all the directories and added them,
> but it didn't add ANY files.  Is this the correct behaviour?  Does that mean
> I should kick off a full backup myself?  And if I manually kickoff a backup
> will all the "rules" still be in effect (# of full backups etc?).
>
> Thanks, just trying to make sure things are working properly on my first
> usage of this great tool.

Tar based incrementals can only use the timestamp to determine which
files have changed since the backing full and thus should be included.
 The files it is not taking must have a timestamp older than the full
run.   If you use rsync for the xfer, it can compare the directories
to see which files are new.  You can force a full any time and the
specified number of backups will be kept - just note that the timespan
of those backups may not cover what you expected.