BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restores only directories and not directory content

2012-11-14 18:43:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restores only directories and not directory content
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:42:29 -0800
On 11/14/2012 01:42 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 11/14/2012 4:19 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2012 12:00 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> I can't think of anything that would cause a problem like that, but
>>> can you make a tar image with the BackupPC_tarCreate command line tool
>>> on the server and restore that on the client machine?
>>>

>> Thanks for the reply Les
>>
>> I tried to try BackupPC_tarCreate and gave up. First the file wouldn't
>> run until I appended ./ in front, not obvious to me at least. Then I got
>> the following:
>>
>>        BackupPC_tarCreate -n 169 -h<the backup computer with the data>  -s
>> />  target.tar
>>        This returned - Wrong user: my userid is 0, instead of 112 (backuppc)
>>        Please su backuppc first.
>>
> Simple error ... the error message even told you how to fix it.
>

>>        su backuppc
>>        $
>>        $BackupPC_tarCreate -n 169 -h<the backup computer with the data>
>> -s />  target.tar
>>        sh: 2:can not crate target.tar: Permission Denied.
>>        sh:2:BackupPC_tarCreate: not found.
>>
> Basic *nix permissions issue.  You switched to user backuppc, but you
> are trying to write to a directory that backuppc does not have
> permissions for (since you started as root, I'm guessing you are still
> in root's home directory).  Try doing "cd ~backuppc" and then running
> the command again.  This will move you to backuppc's home directory
> where you will (presumably) have permission to create a file.
>

>> At this point I quit in disgust.
>>
> Don't give up so fast.  You're almost there.

OK, I did the following:
mkdir /tar
chown backuppc:backuppc /tar        a place to store the tar file
cd /usr/share/backuppc/bin               to get to the
BackupPC_tarCreate script
su backuppc                                        logged in as backuppc
then ran:
$./BackupPC_tarCreate -n 169 -h localhost -s / > /tar/target.tar

The script ran, printed out the help menu and created an empty target.tar

There were 2 comments about depreciated commands in the script but no
errors.

Now what.

Gary R