BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds

2012-09-21 14:03:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:02:19 +0000
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:11:20PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT
> com> wrote:
> >
> > I would not expect the network speed changing from 100Mb to 1Gb to make a
> > difference:  this server is literally unchanged from one run to the next.
>
> I wouldn't expect any difference by adding more bandwidth than you
> [...]
> to be slow.  Backups will almost always thresh any disk buffer/cache
> that might make other types of access seem faster.
>
> However, I just run into a situation in an rsync restore where both
> ends were sitting in a select() apparently waiting for each other for
> so long I gave up and used a tar download.   Maybe there is a bug
> somewhere.

Yup. I have discussed it multiple times:

  http://adsm.org/lists/html/BackupPC-users/2010-09/msg00136.html
  http://adsm.org/lists/html/BackupPC-users/2010-02/msg00075.html
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/18179

but always when doing a backup not while doing a restore.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111