BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds

2012-09-21 12:51:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:46:31 -0400
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 09/18/2012 07:04:21 PM:

> > The guest servers are not hurting for resources.  They are not part of the
> > problem.  The problem seems to be contained completely inside of the
> > BackupPC server.
>
> If you aren't seeing big speed differences among clients you are
> probably right.  I do and they seem related to hardware capabilities.

In the case of the server I'm currently testing, this seems to be the case.  The difference between compression and no compression was exactly zero:  same time both ways.

I looked into the target more closely:  it has single-spindle drives (no RAID arrays), and was connected to the network via 100Mb.  I can't change the target's drives, but I moved the server to 1Gb and restarted a full.  We'll see what happens...

I would not expect the network speed changing from 100Mb to 1Gb to make a difference:  this server is literally unchanged from one run to the next.  BackupPC literally shows zero files changed!  So the network bandwidth shouldn't make a difference:  all it should be doing is passing hashes back and forth...

We'll see what happens, though, and I'll let you know.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com