BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Getting files newer than error

2012-09-17 09:40:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Getting files newer than error
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:38:57 -0500

> On 2012-09-14 13:46, Michael Stowe wrote:
>> The Linux kernel keeps its own time, generally in UTC.  This is
>> translated
>> to "local time" depending on the environment process of the user itself.
>> Thus, the backuppc user can have a completely different time than, say,
>> you, or root.
>>
>> Depending on the environment when BackupPC is launched, it may be
>> operating on UTC, or any other arbitrary time zone, which can have
>> absolutely nothing to do with the time zone you see (even as the
>> backuppc
>> user, since its environment can be different when launching BackupPC and
>> when launched from the command line.)
>>
>> So, the most likely explanation, and one not yet eliminated, is that the
>> scripts launching BackupPC do not have any time zones set, and therefore
>> the backuppc process is inheriting the UTC time.
>
> Processes which do not set a preferred time zone inherit the system
> default
> defined by /etc/localtime, which is usually a copy of a timezone
> definition
> file. For instance, you can set your system time zone like this:
>
> cp -a /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/UTC /etc/localtime
>
> However, this is only UTC if you set it that way during install.
>
> Unless you have users that specifically go around setting the $TZ
> variable,
> users will not have different times.
>
> Regards,
> Tyler

That's absolutely true -- it's this line:

Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\ts-1\\Users -c tarmode\ full -TcN
/var/lib/BackupPC//pc/ts-1/timeStamp.level0 -

That leads me to believe that the error is caused by different time zones
between the system to be backed up (Windows, I assume, due to smbclient)
and the BackupPC process.  Where the disconnect is I can only speculate.