BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] WinXX file ownership / permissions

2012-09-03 20:03:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] WinXX file ownership / permissions
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 18:33:39 -0500
> Hey,
>
> First of all, thanks to everyone involved for life-saver software.
>
> I've a bit of a grief when restoring to WinXX shares (both over smb
> before and rsync now), and I've failed to find enough information to
> understand how BackupPC goes about that.

For Windows systems, BackupPC doesn't back up ACLs, alternate data
streams, hidden or system flags, and so on, so, aside from relatively
straightforward permissions, you'll either need to add your own or skip
it.

> When restoring data to a NTFS filesystem I've encountered permission
> issues which either
> a) prevented the user from accessing his/her data
> b) the restore process seemed to have locked itself from writing down
> the tree by changing permissions of a parent folder so that it couldn't
> write anything below that folder

Generally speaking, I back up the files via rsync, then use .zip files for
partial recoveries, and tar for bare meta recoveries.  It's possible to
pass the right flags to rsync so that you can recover that way as well, I
just haven't found it worth bothering.

> Those weren't critical issues since I could still get at the data in the
> end, but it was far from ideal.
>
> To note is that on both of the above the underlying OS was reinstalled
> from scratch, so I'm suspecting that user ID mismatch might be the
> reason, but I've failed to confirm that.

cygwin uid/gids get mapped to SIDs in Windows ... but I don't know a way
to reconstruct a SID from a uid/gid.  More information here:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

> I'm now using a cygwin+ssh+rsync approach to back up WinXX machines, as
> it seemed a bit more secure and "behind the scenes" as opposed to just
> sharing whatever was needed over CIFS. I've rougly followed the guide in
> [1]. Is rsync indeed the recommended solution for WinXX backups? Is
> there something I've missed re: permissions that I should've taken care
> of? Or is it simply that the "clean OS" case is crippled by mismatched
> user IDs? Maybe using a Samba domain to store users' credentials would
> help?

I'd recommend rsync+vshadow to get all the files, of course -- for a bare
metal restore, if you don't recover the registry, you won't have anything
to map to, anyway, so I'm assuming you're going to do that as well, in
which case, what you lack is a back up of your ACLs (possibly:  all that
other stuff, I don't know how important any of that is to you.)