BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Running backuppc on a raspberry pi - possible ?

2012-07-23 17:18:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Running backuppc on a raspberry pi - possible ?
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 23:16:24 +0200
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 21:27:45 +0200
Poul Nielsen <poul AT langhuse DOT dk> wrote:
> I am considering using a raspberry pi which is a very low power, low
> spec linux unit.
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/
> CPU:                  700 MHz ARM11 ARM1176JZF-S core
> Memory (SDRAM)iB      256 MiB
> USB 2.0 ports:                2 (via integrated USB hub)
> Wanted:
> - home use
> - versioned backup from a number of PCs and devices
> - speed is not essential
> - using rsync where possible
> rsync might need more memory than the max 192 Mb available?
> Any experience ?

I can only speak from my experience: I did built a home-server with
exactly your needs from an intel atom (N270 @1.6GHz 2GB-Ram). Hardware
isn't that much more then the rasperry, it has real sata, real gigabit
ethernet (*), something like 2-4GB RAM and a faster cpu at least with
HT, nowadays even with dual-core. And power-usage is mostly dictated by
your disks. I have a solid-state drive for the os and the logs and the
incoming-folder of the torrent. Everything else is on one of two hdds
which spin down when not in use (and when outside my home-office-hours).

(*) actually it has two gigabits and 6 serial interfaces as its an
industry-board which did cost something like 120€.

It runs:
 - yate
 - firewall + squid + privoxy + several openvpn instances
 - mpd (music player daemon to have the same audio in all our flat)
 - backuppc
 - apache with php and python
 - mysql (for some small development projects)
 - postgresql (for some other projects and as backend for yate)
 - with its internal wifi-card (mini-pci-express) it also saves the
   access-point.
 - nfs server
 - sometimes test-setups of gluster/ceph/sheepdog

When backuppc runs for two clients and a movie is decoding, music tends
to stutter. But all in all I am very content with the performance of
that baby.

Have fun,

Arnold