BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Running backuppc on a raspberry pi - possible ?

2012-07-23 13:40:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Running backuppc on a raspberry pi - possible ?
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:38:36 +0100
On 22/07/12 20:27, Poul Nielsen wrote:
> I am considering using a raspberry pi which is a very low power, low
> spec linux unit.
>

> http://www.raspberrypi.org/
> CPU:                  700 MHz ARM11 ARM1176JZF-S core
> Memory (SDRAM)iB      256 MiB
> USB 2.0 ports:                2 (via integrated USB hub)
>

> Wanted:
> - home use
> - versioned backup from a number of PCs and devices
> - speed is not essential
> - using rsync where possible
>
> rsync might need more memory than the max 192 Mb available?
>
> Any experience ?

I have a Pi and there are a few things to remember about the Pi:

1. The ethernet is on the USB bus, so you are sharing the USB bus with
network and storage.
2. The SD card storage subsystem is "slow"

I think that as has been discussed on the list many times backuppc is
very heavy on the I/O subsystem.

I think that if you are looking at this sort of solution you might be
better to look at something kirkwood based such as a dreamplug or a QNAP
TS-219p which has both gig ethernet and eSATA on a pci express bus not USB.

You other option is something more modern like a Mele A1000, which again
is more ram and better IO

--
Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>