BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Process for Overriding hosts configuration

2012-07-10 11:37:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Process for Overriding hosts configuration
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:34:46 -0400
"Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote on 07/10/2012 11:14:34 AM:

> > How are you backing the junction points up. AFAIK backuppc treats
> > those as actual directories and not junction points (i.e. the concept
> > of a junction point doesn't exist in backuppc's universe like a
> > symbolic link does.) Pooling will make sure that the files under the
> > junction point and the real location of those files are pooled
>
> How BackupPC views them is dependent on the backup method; for rsync
> backups, they look like symbolic links (which they are) and get backed up
> as such.

I do not see this in practice on my server.  In my case, the junctions create infinite loops (well, until the path gets too long, anyway), and give me tens of *thousands* of errors.  I used the list of exclusions on the BackupPC wiki to get this down to a manageable number (400, instead of 80,000 or so).

Have you added a parameter somewhere to handle this?

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com