BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Q: not-expected? behaviour for 'BackupPC_tarCreate' ?

2012-06-13 09:51:11
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Q: not-expected? behaviour for 'BackupPC_tarCreate' ?
From: Tim Chipman <tchipman AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:49:27 -0300
Hi everyone,

if anyone can comment, assistance is appreciated.  I'm trying to use
"BackupPC_tarCreate" to facilitate the 'extraction' of a 'last known
good backup' for a given backup dumped to filesystem, so that it can
be rsync transferred to a remote site for 'offsite backup copy'.

However, it isn't behaving as I had expected; so I wanted to check
with the list if I've simply misunderstood how this command is
expected to behave.

Context: This is a backup job that has 32 days worth of runs - one
full backup on the first day, and incrementals each day since.  The
full backup footprint is ~60gb and then each day it varies between
0.5-2gb of changes.

I was under the impression that a command as follows:

/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h mainserver -s OfficeDocs
-n -1 . > most-recent.tar

would generate the file, most-recent.tar, with a complete set of all
files / with the most recent updates from the latest update being
overlaid with the older full backup set.  Thus I would have expected a
~60gb output tarball.

Instead, what I see is a ~1.3gb output tarball which has only files
changed in the ~last 24 hours.

If I issue the command as follows:

/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h mainserver -s OfficeDocs
-n 0 . > backup-zero.tar

I do end up with a ~60gb tarball which represents all the files that
were backed up on the first day.

So.  Just wanted to check,
- is this expected behaviour?
- if I want to get 'full  backup and latest' offsite, do I just need
to take a copy of the 'zero day' tarball offsite, and then each night,
generate a tarball of 'diffs for that day' using the n of minus one
flag -- and rsync that out -- and I'll be 'ok'.
- or is there some other way to get the BackupPC_tarCreate command -
to automagically merge diffs with full - so that each night it dumps
the 'whole, latest' ?

Any comments are certainly greatly appreciated.

Tim