BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourced BackupPC project - Please comment

2012-06-12 00:31:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourced BackupPC project - Please comment
From: Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:59:48 +0530
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
wrote:

> >From my personal experience, projects like this with a maximum bid very
> close to the minimum number on the range tend to attract people who are
> more interested in getting the bid and then adding extra cost after they
> are in the project, rather than somebody who is giving a reasonable number
> with a reasonable expectation of completing the project.

Actually, I don't think its intentional....its rather negative to
think that they do this deliberately. Many of these people are
newbies. Many take up projects outside their main domain knowledge,
hoping to learn a new domain, while they work. Many times they find
that they have underestimated the project and the outsourcing fails.
In some cases a new fee is reached, in some cases the outsourcer or
the worker cancels the project and the outsourcer has to find someone
new. Mostly this happens in the discussion stage, as an effective
requirements document is not in place.

Overall, these sites are filling a niche. I find they are narrowing
the difference further. The cost for a given project has almost
doubled in the last two years on this particular site, which I believe
is an indication that such site are narrowing the difference. Although
these do put a downwards pressure on prices in high wage countries and
an upwards pressure in low wage countries.

Whether its right or not, is of course an individual opinion.