BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Pool filesystem wierdness

2012-05-30 04:34:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Pool filesystem wierdness
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:32:42 +0100
On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 19:27 -0400, Brad Alexander wrote:
> I know it is bad form to respond to one's own post, but I was digging
> around in my Munin graphs, and noticed that the filesystem skyrocked
> from about 70% to 100% late on the 26th or early on the 27th. I have
> included both the 4-week pool graph from the backup machine and the
> weekly graph from my munin server. Note that while the pool filesystem
> is smooth and even at around 300GB, the munin graph climbs sharply...I
> wasn't able to find anything that might have caused it, though doing
> df on the pc directory, with all it's hard links, seems to be a Bad
> Idea.

I've been caught out by things like thunderbird indexing 10 gig of mail
suddenly and adding a massive chunk to my backups.

You can use du on parts of the pool file system as modern versions of du
will skip hardlinks after it's counted the first instance of them.

--
Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>