BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] After OS Upgrade -- NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

2012-05-13 18:15:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] After OS Upgrade -- NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
From: "Brad Morgan" <b-morgan AT concentric DOT net>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:13:34 -0600
> I just upgraded my server from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 and now BackupPC is failing on all hosts with:
> Backup failed on canton (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \\*)
> Anyone know what trivial / stupid thing I've missed?

The smbclient (3.5.11) in Ubuntu 11.10 returns the exact same errors as the smbclient (3.6.3) in Ubuntu 12.04 with one exception, the errors were ignored or skipped by BackupPC with 11.10 and are fatal with 12.04.

I believe the following from http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.0.html may be relevant.

Changed security defaults

-------------------------

Samba 3.6 has adopted a number of improved security defaults that will

impact on existing users of Samba.

client ntlmv2 auth = yes

client use spnego principal = no

send spnego principal = no

The impact of 'client ntlmv2 auth = yes' is that by default we will not

use NTLM authentication as a client.  This applies to the Samba client

tools such as smbclient and winbind, but does not change the separately

released in-kernel CIFS client.  To re-enable the poorer NTLM encryption

set '--option=clientusentlmv2auth=no' on your smbclient command line, or

set 'client ntlmv2 auth = no' in your smb.conf