BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to move to a new remove server?

2012-04-07 20:50:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to move to a new remove server?
From: "Alexander, Clint Mr ARMY GUEST USA USAMC USA" <clint.alexander AT us.army DOT mil>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 20:49:56 -0400
> Rsync needs the -H option to recreate the hardlinks.  There are some
> practical limits to the size of a pool that can be copied in a
> reasonable amount of time because identifying and recreating the
> hardlinks is somewhat inefficient - and you have to include the entire
> tree in one pass for it to work.

I found this as well (even though most instructions give the archive mode
(-a) without the hard-link switch).

What about the requirements of the two directory structures:
__topdir__/data/pc & __topdir__/data/cpool

If I only copy the "pc" directory to another server, I noticed that my new
installation of BackupPC apparently reads it just fine and displays the
previous full and incrementals that we've collected over the years. The
backuppc service seems to look for existence and ownership of "cpool", but
does not complain that it is empty (which it is in my test environment).

Do we really need the cpool directory? Will backuppc rebuild this in some
way?

// Clint Alexander