BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] $hostIP does not seem to be taken into account

2012-04-04 11:47:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] $hostIP does not seem to be taken into account
From: Moritz Lennert <moritzlennert AT altern DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 15:46:18 +0000 (UTC)
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Moritz Lennert <moritzlennert <at> altern.org>
wrote:
> >> If you have to use nmblookup instead of DNS to find the IP, that 0
> >> (dhcp) in the hosts file should be 1.

[...]
> > But I'll try as soon as I'm back in the office.

Using the DHCP approach, I've been able to launch a backup manually via the web
interface, but only when accessing it from the machine itself, not from another
machine. I'll see if the automatic backup works.

Still don't really understand why finding the IP via nmblookup and then using
$hostIP in the ssh command line does not work...

> An even better solution would be to arrange for dhcp to give a fixed
> IP address to that NIC or to dynamically update DNS so you can use dns
> instead of nmblookup.

Yeah, that would be great, but that's not in my hands to decide and the answer
is no. I'll have to look into the possibility of creating a local dns server...

Moritz