BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Compare backups without restoring

2012-03-31 11:46:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Compare backups without restoring
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:45:25 -0500
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson AT dmj DOT nu>
wrote:

> The talk about backuppc-fuse sounds VERY interesting (instead of running
> "BackupPC_tarCreate -h host1 -n 887 -s /usr . | tar xf -" to a temporary
> filesystem),
> I did a quick search on the net and it looks like there are some different
> versions around (Pieter Wuille's from Nov 2009 and unixtastic.com from Nov
> 2008).
> Are there other "newer" around? Does the one from Pieter work with BPC 3.2.1?

I haven't tried the fuse approach, but note that for single
directories, you can use the 'history' link to see which files have
changed and when, and gnu tar has a --compare option so you could
generate a stream via ssh/BackupPC_tarCreate and compare to the
current filesystem or at least only have to restore one.