BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Compare backups without restoring

2012-03-31 04:02:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Compare backups without restoring
From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson AT dmj DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:01:23 +0200
On Friday 30 March 2012 09.57:27 Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> One simple possibility would be to use backuppc-fuse to mount the pc
> tree and then use normal *nix routines like diff or cmp to find
> differences.

> N.Trojahn wrote at about 14:09:06 +0200 on Friday, March 30, 2012:
>  > Hello list,
>  >
>  > I'd like to find the differences between to backups of a certain host
>  > without restoring the two backups (way too large) and diff 'em.
>  >
>  > Anyone has an idea how to achieve this using a script or something like
>  > that which runs over the BackupPC pool?

The talk about backuppc-fuse sounds VERY interesting (instead of running
"BackupPC_tarCreate -h host1 -n 887 -s /usr . | tar xf -" to a temporary
filesystem),
I did a quick search on the net and it looks like there are some different
versions around (Pieter Wuille's from Nov 2009 and unixtastic.com from Nov
2008).
Are there other "newer" around? Does the one from Pieter work with BPC 3.2.1?

Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!