BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] XferLog.z : How do I read this thing?

2012-03-20 17:19:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] XferLog.z : How do I read this thing?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:06:39 -0400
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 02/10/2012 10:35:17 AM:

> Seems trivial to me (plus or minus some buffering delay)...
>
> tail -n +0 -f /path/to/XferLog.Z | BackupPC_zcat

I just tried your "trivial" command.  It works, sorta:  only after it tails the *entire* file.  The problem with that is, some of my XferLog file have *millions* of lines...  Kinda hard to quickly check the end of the file that way--unless you want to wait minutes for it to scroll the entire file...

Uncompressed log files work perfectly, of course.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com