BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Parity (par2) command running on archives even though set to 0

2012-03-20 10:43:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Parity (par2) command running on archives even though set to 0
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:30:06 -0400
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 03/19/2012 06:34:22 PM:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Timothy J Massey
> <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > While we're on the subject:  what could I do to get BackupPC to
> realize that par2 is doing its thing even if it doesn't think it's
> seeing output from the command?  It's certainly spewing plenty of
> things out while it's working:  it outputs something for every 0.1%
> of output it processes...  Then I would be able to generate parity
> for things that take more than 1200 minutes if I wanted to.  (Yes, I
> know I can change the limit.  I'd like to:  to much *shorter*, by
> making BackupPC aware that the parity process is still working!)
>
> It's a longstanding bug that some things that should advance the
> timeout don't.  I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to track it down
> or if it is just elusive.

Yeah.  What's weird is that the output of the par2 command is clearly being logged by BackupPC.  I'm really surprised that the log output isn't enough to cause BackupPC to reset its timer.

My Perl-fu is relatively weak, but I'll try to take a stab at it...  If anyone has any suggestions on where to look, I'm all ears!  :)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com