BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Encryption and long-term storage

2012-03-18 13:20:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Encryption and long-term storage
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:19:15 +0100
Hi,

On Sunday 18 March 2012 16:44:30 Justin Finkelstein wrote:
> I've been reviewing a number of backup solutions to use for off-site
> backup of a number of machines in our office and I've a couple of
> questions regarding backuppc:
>
>     1. Is there a way to encrypt the data that's stored?

While we write encrypted "tapes" to kind-of-remote discs, storing the real
data encrypted is probably not a good idea because of the pooling. But you can
put the whole backuppc-filesystem on an encrypted disk.

>     2. Is it practical to store a year's worth of data in BackupPC? i.e.
> one full annual backup + daily differentials?
>         (i.e. how does this affect the time to restore a recent version
> of a file?)

Read the documentation about the number of full backups to keep. It can
actually be an array where each number denotes double the interval of its
previous number. So with [4, 0, 4] it means to keep 4 weekly, 0 bi-weekly and
4 almost-a-month full backups. [4, 0, 0, 4] means 4 weekly and 4 bi-monthly
full backups to keep. That is when you full-interval actually is 7 days...

Whether you keep full or incremental backups on disk is not important as
backuppc already de-duplicates the stored files. Its only a matter of which
files are transfered from the client to the server.

Have fun,

Arnold