BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Using dd to copy the BackupPC data

2012-03-15 17:07:03
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Using dd to copy the BackupPC data
From: "Brad Morgan" <b-morgan AT concentric DOT net>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:05:39 -0600

The BackupPC manual says: The best way to copy a pool file system, if possible, is by copying the raw device at the block level (eg: using dd).

Could someone give an example of how to do this?

Can someone explain why the output file system doesn't get reduced to the size of the input file system?

For example, I have a 127GB disk, /dev/hdb1, mounted via fstab on /var/lib/backuppc. I have a new 200GB disk, /dev/hdd1, that I used fdisk to create a single partition, mkfs.ext4 to create the file system, and mounted it on /mnt/tempBackupPC. If I use "dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hdd1" doesn't this copy the partition table and file system metadata, superblocks, etc. such that the output device will now look exactly like the input device including being reduced in size from 200GB to 127GB?

Regards,

Brad