BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] What does this BackupPC_tarPCCopy message mean

2012-03-15 16:42:32
Subject: [BackupPC-users] What does this BackupPC_tarPCCopy message mean
From: "Brad Morgan" <b-morgan AT concentric DOT net>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:41:26 -0600

I'm following the directions in the manual to copy my BackupPC data to a larger disk. I am using the distribution-packaged install on Ubuntu Server 11.10, 3.2.1-1ubuntu1.1.

When I execute "cd /mnt/tempBackupPC; mkdir pc; cd pc; /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tar_PCCopy /var/lib/backuppc/pc | tar xPf -" I get a message "Can't extract TopDir (/var/lib/backuppc) from /var/lib/backuppc/pc". What does this mean?

Just out of curiosity, why can't the directions in the manual be combined into one script that takes the old location (/var/lib/backuppc) and the new location as parameters and then does all the appropriate steps?  That could include verifying that BackupPC  is stopped (or stop it) and then moving everything using the appropriate methods. Perhaps with an option to turn off "verbose" output.

Regards,

Brad