BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] IP address in Failures that need attention.

2012-03-08 11:17:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] IP address in Failures that need attention.
From: Mark Potter <potter2769 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:15:02 -0500
Situation: We use BackupPC to backup all the boxes at this satellite office.  Yesterday morning the main office lost network connectivity, thus we lost our Domain server and primary/local DNS server.  While the main office was down, we were not able to run any backups (authentication issues), understandable.  During this down time we changed our DHCP server to use a different secondary DNS server, during this the DHCP server was reset and thus many of our boxes got new IPs. The main office came back up around noon.

Today I have two errors in the "Failures that need attention" list, however:
* Under "Host" it gives an IP address instead of the host name  If one clicks on this, one is taken to a page stating "Error: Unknown host or user ###.###.###.###".
* Under "Last Try" it gives the top of the current hour, thus it is apparently retrying these host IPs every cycle.

Looking at the log file for yesterday I can see a bunch of lines reading "###.###.###.###: DHCP ###.###.###.### host" for these and for other hosts, where the two IP address given are the same.  I do not recall seeing these lines in the log file before.

Looking at the Host Summary page, all the hosts report as being fine, including the two hosts which HAD the IPs given on the Status page.

Therefore, two points:

Point 1: Reporting bug and/or feature request:  Ideally BackupPC should not have gotten into this state, but since this is such a contrived case I can see just ignoring it. However there should be some UI improvements to deal which such discongruent data.  e.g. A way to clear IP addresses from the queue of hosts retrying.

Point 2:  How can I manually clear these errors, or will they self clear after another day or so?