BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backuppc (yes, that again...:)

2012-02-27 09:30:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backuppc (yes, that again...:)
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:28:58 -0500
Brad Alexander wrote at about 14:57:41 -0500 on Friday, February 24, 2012:
 > Hey all,
 >
 > I'm running into a problem migrating my /var/lib/backuppc pc
 > directory. I got cpool, log, pool, tmp, and trash migrated via rsync,
 > and I am attempting to migrate the pc directory.

It's really not possible to *separately* migrate the pc directory
since it has no way of knowing about and hence preserving the links to
the cpool/pool. So you will have a duplicate copy of the pool files
(rather than links) in your pc tree, even if you use the -H flag. If
you do use the -H flag, duplicate copies within the pc tree will be
linked to themselves but not to the pool. Then when BackupPC_nightly
runs, all the pool files will be erased (unless a new backup has been
done in the interim) since there will be no links to the pc tree.

There really is no magical way to "migrate" a BackupPC archive other
than one of the following:
1. Use "rsync -H" on the entire /var/lib/BackupPC tree which becomes
   increasingly slow if not unworkable for large archives
2. Copy over the raw filesystem using some notion of disk copy (e.g.,
   dd) or filesystem snapshots. This requires you to be using the same
   type of filesystem and to copy over the entire filesystem.
3. Use either BackupPC_tarCopy or my program BackupPC_copyPcPool to
   copy over the archive preserving links. These are typically much
   slower than #2 but they scale better than #1