BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ping frequency / blackout not working correctly

2012-02-26 16:08:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ping frequency / blackout not working correctly
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:07:16 -0600
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Till Hofmann
<hofmanntill AT googlemail DOT com> wrote:

> in the manual, it says:
>>
>> So a setting for $Conf{BlackoutGoodCnt} of 7 means it will take around 7
>> days for a machine to be subject to blackout.
>

> Which makes sense because it says, it only pings a pc when a backup is due.
>
> According to my log, the last bad ping is only three days ago (and there
> were more than $BlackoutBadPingLimit bad pings)  :

I haven't tracked this because it is rare here for an always-on server
to start being powered off nightly, but those pings might have had to
be consecutive.  Were they?

> My $Conf{BlackoutGoodCnt} is set to 20.
>
> Nevertheless, it tells me
>>
>> Because $host has been on the network at least 20 consecutive times, it
>> will not be backed up from 7:00 to 23:00 on Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri,
>> Sat.
>
> How could it do 20 successful pings in only three days if it only pings once
> per IncrPeriod (as long as the ping is successful every time)?
>
> I wouldn't care about the pings if it was not about blackout... I want the
> blackouts to work and I've set it to a very high BlackoutGoodCnt. Of course
> I could disable it for some hosts in the per-host config, but for me it
> looks like it's not working as it is supposed to after all.
>
> Have you seen the same behaviour? Do you know any good workaround (without
> changing every host specific config)? After all, do you think this is the
> desired behaviour?

There might be a special case for re-enabling blackouts - and I would
consider it desirable.  It is probably much more common for a
normally-on server to be completely down for a while for some sort of
repairs and then returned to business-as-usual than for it to become a
sometimes-on server for the rest of its life.  And it that case you
would not want backups outside of the blackouts for an extended
period.