BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I've Tried Everything

2012-02-16 16:39:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I've Tried Everything
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:37:42 +0100
On Thursday 16 February 2012 13:07:01 you wrote:
> backuppc runs as user backuppc on the Server, but logs into the client/host
> as root. so there shouldnt be any permissions issues. and ssh works fine
> and authenticates automtically using ssh keys.

I am not giving up that fast (because I know its the primary source for non-
working backups):

Have you actually tested it that the user backuppc can successfully log into
the client (as root) without password and with known host???

"There shouldn't be" and "it should work" and "I don't see why it shouldn't"
are not statements that will make me stop buggering you.

Become the backuppc-user on the server ("sudo -u backuppc -i bash"), then do a
"ssh root@<client>" and when that gives you a command-prompt without any
further keyboard-action from you, you have advanced a step. Next is then to
check whether rsync and/or tar are actually available on the client.

Good luck,

Arnold