BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Accessing old backuppc server

2012-02-16 16:07:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Accessing old backuppc server
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:45:19 +0100
On Thursday 16 February 2012 11:08:38 Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 2/16/2012 10:50 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT buc DOT com
> >
> > <mailto:Bowie_Bailey AT buc DOT com>> wrote:
> >     My backup method involves sending a mirrored drive offsite on a
> >     regular
> >     basis.  This drive contains the OS, BackupPC program, and the pool.
> >
> >     Now I need to access some information from one of the old backups.  I
> >     can boot it up normally, but I want to make sure that BackupPC
> >     does not
> >     try to run any backups or do any cleanup while I'm working with it.  I
> >     know there's a flag I can set to prevent backups from running, but
> >     what
> >     do I need to do to prevent the cleanup from removing any of the
> >     existing
> >     backups?
> >
> > One option would be to not even start the server - just extract what
> > you need with the BackupPC_tarCreate command line program.
>
> Hmm...  not a bad idea.  I would rather be able to use the GUI for
> simplicity, but the command line programs would be safer.

Please check (and report) what the gui shows when the daemon is not running.

Last time I tested with webgui on a different machine than the fs and daemon,
the gui did show the machines and status but not the actual files. When the
daemon can't be contacted, it could be the other way round:-)

Have fun,

Arnold