BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] TIMEOUT on SMB causes missed files and undetected partial.

2012-02-13 15:08:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] TIMEOUT on SMB causes missed files and undetected partial.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:07:29 -0600
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Steve <jelloskins AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
I am backing a Windows XP PC that is remote (Internet) and it takes several hours. I am selectively backing up a small amount of data. Somewhere in the middle of the backup, I start getting lines like these:

NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_INVALID listing \ramu\*
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_INVALID listing \temp\*
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_INVALID listing \temp_wks_5418\*
Once I get these lines, they seem to be continues for every subfolder and the files do not get backed up.
Additionally, those lines are always preceded by a line like this:
Error reading file \backup\Canon_2GB_SDC\dvd-backup\sees\msp430\MSP430_Console_IAR_STD\timerb.c : NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
Which is sometimes a large file but often a small file.
The worst part of this is that the backup misses the remaining data AND gets flagged as "Full" and not "Partial". Therefore Backuppc won't try to continue or do any more with that PC until next week. See the 14917 Xfer errs below.

I've seen that happen where there was a duplex mismatch between the target host and its switch connection (one configured for 'full', one for "auto", but  full means "don't negotiate" and auto means "assume half if there is no negotiation").  Any bad network connection could probably cause it.  I'd agree that it should probably be interpreted as a more fatal error.