BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] oh my ... changing backupdirectory

2012-02-13 11:00:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] oh my ... changing backupdirectory
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: korndoerfer AT crelux DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:58:57 -0600
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Ingo P. Korndoerfer <korndoerfer AT crelux DOT com> wrote:
hello,

i have been going around in circles and pretty much grazed all i could find on google and then finally found a way to
get this to work, and though it might be worth communicating this, so it can maybe get included in the wiki ?

i have succesfully installed backuppc under ubuntu and can connect and all is fine.

except, i want my backups on a usb mounted external disk and then could not start the backuppc server anymore
here is what i did:

i followed the instructures here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Change_archive_directory#Changing_the_storage_location_of_the_BackupPC_pool

If you are starting from scratch, the really simple approach is to mount the partition you want to use at the location the package expects (i.e. /var/lib/backuppc) before you install the backuppc package so everything lands in the right place.

ln -s /mnt/backups1/backuppc /var/lib/backuppc
sudo /etc/init.d/backuppc start

and get the famous "can not create test hardlink" error.

I've forgotten the details of symlinks - I think the target keeps its own ownership and permissions.