BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] shadowmountrsync not mount correctly the Shadow copy device

2012-01-28 18:08:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] shadowmountrsync not mount correctly the Shadow copy device
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:06:49 -0500
Flako wrote at about 11:47:40 -0300 on Saturday, January 28, 2012:
 > Hello
 > I'm trying to use shadowmountrsync 0.4.5.3 on Windows XP SP3 and  cygwin
 > 2.763.
 > Sshd and rsyncd services are working properly.
 > Commands: "shadowmountrsync-u 2" and "shadowmountrsync-d" work
 > properly if run locally (not run as remote command via ssh)
 >
 > When I run "shadowmountrsync-u 2" as a remote command via ssh, I
 > sometimes vshadow.exe generates the snapshot and not others, it
 > generates when I have not gained access to this using dosdev and
 > mount.
 >
 > the link with the log of execution:
 > http://www.fileupyours.com/view/309484/shadowmountrsync_local.log
 > (shows when running locally) and
 > http://www.fileupyours.com/view/309484/shadowmountrsync_remote.log
 > (shows when I run it via ssh)

I looked at the remote log. It all looks fine. 'At' runs, the shadows
are created, dosdev runs, and rsyncd is started.
Looks to me like shadowmountrsync is running perfectly.

Note that I seem to recall that when run via ssh, the cygwin mount
command doesn't show the mounted shadowmounts. This is probably a
protection issue since ssh runs as the SYSTEM user.

My guess is that the problem is due to a mistake in your rsyncd
configuration. Perhaps the password or read/write configurations or
stanzas are set up incorrectly.

Try to see if you can get rsyncd working directly and manually on your
original mounts (C:, D:).
I.e. First launch rsyncd remotely on your Windows XP client:
         cygrunsrv -S rsyncd
Then manually try to use rsyncd from your Backuppc server.
Something like: rsync user@winhost::c destination
Then try using Backuppc with the direct rsyncd transfer method
(without shadowmountrsync).

My guess is that you will find a problem in either your rsyncd.conf or
in your BackupPC config file for the rsyncd transfer method. Once you
fix that, shadowmountrsync should work.

If you can get all the above working without shadowmountrsync, but
shadowmountrsync still fails then we can see what might if anything
might be wrong with your shadowmountrsync configuration and how to
troubleshoot that.

 > I think the problem is in the task that runs via "at", because when I
 > see a job fails  "C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c
 > /usr/local/bin/shadowmountrsync -2-u 2" that never ends ..

Probably not. The very fact that Pass #2 is running means that the
'at' command ran successfully. The shadowmountrsync process never ends
since rsyncd is still running and never finished.

 > But do not know what else to look .. I'm sick to debug the code ..

I don't think anything is wrong with the code :P

 > If I try to mount the shadow device, not walk, for example:
 > Being the "Shadow copy device name: \ \? \ GLOBALROOT \ Device \
 > HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1" that generated shadowmountrsync
 >
 > I try to mount it by hand:
 > $ /Bin/dosdev Z: \?\GLOBALROOT\ Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1
 > Z:: The operation completed successfully.
 >
 > $ Mount-f Z: /shadow/Z
 >
 > $ Ls /shadow /Z
 > ls: can not access /shadow /Z: No such file or directory

You can't mount global roots directly under cygwin (see cygwin user
list archives). This is the reason that I had to use dosdev to create
the mounts.

 > $ mount
 > C:/cygwin /bin on /usr /bin type ntfs (binary, auto)
 > C:/cygwin /lib on /usr /lib type ntfs (binary, auto)
 > C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary, auto)
 > Z: on /shadow / unknown type Z (binary, user)
 > C: on /cygdrive /c type ntfs (binary, posix = 0, user, noumount, auto)
 > D: on /cygdrive /d type iso9660 (binary, posix = 0, user, noumount, auto)

When you are running via ssh, I think mount doesn't show the
shadowmounts even though they are there.

 > The truth is that I'm giving up on using shadowmountrsync not know
 > what else to look ..
 >
 > any idea?

Give up if you want or spend some time figuring it out -- in
particular, start by following my suggestions above.

If you decide to give up, that's your choice...