BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc incremental taking up a lot of bandwidth with no additional changes

2012-01-20 19:12:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc incremental taking up a lot of bandwidth with no additional changes
From: smallpox <smallpox AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:11:04 -0800

On 1/20/2012 11:49 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> smallpox wrote at about 07:15:07 -0800 on Friday, January 20, 2012:
>   >  i was under the impression that rsync does the comparison with little or
>   >  no bandwidth.
>
> First, PLEASE DON'T TOP-POST - it makes following and responding
> to a thread near impossible.

Sorry about that.
> Second, what makes you think the issue is a bandwidth issue? You just
> said that it takes 10 minutes. Have you determined that the time is
> due to bandwidth bottlenecks and not just disk reads and rsync
> computations?

I see mrtg's graph, it's doing about 5mbit for 10 minutes.

> Third, why would you expect rsync -- even without backuppc -- to take
> significantly fewer than 10 minutes to crawl a directory tree of
> "a hundred thousand files" including in reading in the inode
> information from each file, transmitting it across the network,
> comparing it to said information stored in the BackupPC attrib
> file. Plus any changed files will require reading, decompressing, and
> computing rolling md4 checksums on each of the target files as part of
> the rsync algorithm. Then the full directory tree needs to be
> constructed on the BackupPC Server including attrib files and any
> changed files (this is for incrementals). Do you expect this to all
> happen instantaneously?

I do not have hundreds of thousands of files yet. 141 Files, 20 Folders,
388 MB (407,536,068 bytes)

> Fourth, are you sure that you want to do "continuous" (your words)
> backups? That means that you are creating an ever-increasing (and
> theoretically infinite) number of incremental backups each requiring a
> full directory tree parallel to the source plus attrib files and
> changed files. Additionally, any time a file changes by even one byte,
> than a whole new copy is saved to the pool (think log files or system
> files that may change multiple times per second).
>
> In summary, I think you are trying to solve a problem that may not
> need to be solved, using a tool that is not meant to solve it, without
> understanding what is causing your problems and without knowing how
> the tool actually works in the first place :)

I am trying to mimic Iron Mountain's software which runs as some
software on the system and sends differences every 15 minutes.