BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc incremental taking up a lot of bandwidth with no additional changes

2012-01-20 14:51:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc incremental taking up a lot of bandwidth with no additional changes
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:49:44 -0500
smallpox wrote at about 07:15:07 -0800 on Friday, January 20, 2012:
 > i was under the impression that rsync does the comparison with little or
 > no bandwidth.

First, PLEASE DON'T TOP-POST - it makes following and responding
to a thread near impossible.

Second, what makes you think the issue is a bandwidth issue? You just
said that it takes 10 minutes. Have you determined that the time is
due to bandwidth bottlenecks and not just disk reads and rsync
computations?

Third, why would you expect rsync -- even without backuppc -- to take
significantly fewer than 10 minutes to crawl a directory tree of
"a hundred thousand files" including in reading in the inode
information from each file, transmitting it across the network,
comparing it to said information stored in the BackupPC attrib
file. Plus any changed files will require reading, decompressing, and
computing rolling md4 checksums on each of the target files as part of
the rsync algorithm. Then the full directory tree needs to be
constructed on the BackupPC Server including attrib files and any
changed files (this is for incrementals). Do you expect this to all
happen instantaneously?

Fourth, are you sure that you want to do "continuous" (your words)
backups? That means that you are creating an ever-increasing (and
theoretically infinite) number of incremental backups each requiring a
full directory tree parallel to the source plus attrib files and
changed files. Additionally, any time a file changes by even one byte,
than a whole new copy is saved to the pool (think log files or system
files that may change multiple times per second).

In summary, I think you are trying to solve a problem that may not
need to be solved, using a tool that is not meant to solve it, without
understanding what is causing your problems and without knowing how
the tool actually works in the first place :)