BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using BluRay for archive

2012-01-17 09:19:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using BluRay for archive
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:18:12 +0100
On 2012-01-17 15:04, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:04 AM, Germano Paciocco
> <germano.paciocco AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>> I'm evaluating use of Blu-Ray discs for archiving long term backups. The
>> idea is to periodically schedule the burning of /var/lib/backuppc in a new
>> session of the disc, avoiding to close the session, in order to allow
>> further writing.
>
> I wouldn't expect filesystems that work on blu-ray to preserve the
> hardlinks and perhaps some of the other attributes needed for the
> backuppc files.

Indeed. This falls under the well-discussed topic of "how to duplicate the
pool." See any the archives of this list, any random month. Short answer:
it's not fun.

If you really want to archive the entire pool and pc structure, I suggest
burning a binary copy of the unmounted pool filesystem to the Blu-ray disk.
Make an LVM snapshot, unmount the snapshot, then use dd to make a binary
copy to the blu-ray ISO filesystem. If you want to recover from this, dd it
back, or mount it with "mount -o loop".

Regards,
Tyler

--
"You think that a wall as solid as the earth separates civilization from
barbarism. I tell you the division is a thread, a sheet of glass. A touch