BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on VLAN

2012-01-17 01:39:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on VLAN
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:38:14 -0600
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Kevin Kimani <kevinkimani AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have setup backuppc running on Centos5.7. I have a vlan setup with
> different subnets. Am trying  to resolve the computer names by name hence
> using nmblookup. Am only able to resolve the machine on the same subnet as
> the backup server. I can ping machines on the other subnets but when I try
> to resolve their names, am unable. Then I decided to add virtual networks to
> the backup server of the subnets. Upon doing this, was unable to reach the
> other networks.
>
> Could you help PLEASE.

The best approach is to set up DNS with either static IPs or a system
that lets the DHCP-assigned machines register their addresses
dynamically.   Next best is a central WINS server (the DHCP server
gives out it's address and you can use samba on the backuppc server if
you don't have another suitable machine).

But, if you have connected a VLAN trunk to the backuppc server and
given it an interface and address on each of the relevant VLANS,
nmblookup should be able to find everything with broadcasts.   I don't
understand your problem with other networks, but it is probably simple
routing.  Be sure the netmask is correct for each interface and that
you have only assigned one default gateway (i.e. the new VLAN
interfaces should probably not have a GATEWAY entry).