BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't fork

2012-01-11 20:27:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't fork
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:00:30 -0500
I would add this: 45 GB and 185,000 files is, in my opinion, far from big.
I have a number of servers backing up hosts that are 5 to 10 times as big,
and bigger. and that is with 1 GHz anemic processors and 512 MB RAM.

I think the answers that you're getting are correct: you're probably short
of some sort of resource. But this is far from a normal situation. Tiny
little backup servers are able to do much much bigger hosts. There's
something fundamentally weird about your setup.

Timothy J. Massey

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 11, 2012, at 11:00 AM, "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Peter Thomassen
> <mail AT peter-thomassen DOT de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when backuping a host with a large number of files (~180,000 files,
> > about 45 GB), I recently started receiving messages like this:
> >
> > 2012-01-10 05:08:02 [host]: Can't fork
at /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 1353.