BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't fork

2012-01-11 11:07:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't fork
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:06:20 -0600
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Peter Thomassen
<mail AT peter-thomassen DOT de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when backuping a host with a large number of files (~180,000 files,
> about 45 GB), I recently started receiving messages like this:
>
> 2012-01-10 05:08:02 [host]: Can't fork at
> /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 1353.
>
> What could be the reason for that? I suspect a memory shortage, but I am
> not sure. Would it make sense?
>
> Unfortunately, I currently don't have a chance to monitor memory usage.

Running out of several kinds of system resources or hitting per-user
or process limits can cause this error.   Memory used to hold the
directory listing for rsync comparision is the mostly likely thing to
trigger it, and adding RAM is the best fix.  But, you might be able to
work around it by reducing concurrent backup runs or adding swap.