BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync method with $Conf{RsyncShareName} and $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} causes hangups?

2012-01-02 13:11:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync method with $Conf{RsyncShareName} and $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} causes hangups?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 12:09:25 -0600
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Johan Wilfer <lists AT jttech DOT se> wrote:
> 2012-01-02 18:45, Les Mikesell skrev:
>> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Johan Wilfer <lists AT jttech DOT se> wrote:
>>
>>> When I use the BackupFilesExclude-option I notice that the remote
>>> rsync-server sometimes "goes away".
>> The most likely cause of processes 'going away' would be the linux
>> out-of-memory killer.  Is that possible here - perhaps a large number
>> of directory entries?  Maybe it isn't the exclude option itself, but
>> the fact that you need to use it for that target.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not the case this time. One of the
> targets it crashes on has only one file.
> Both machines are Debian Squeeze AMD64, the backup server that receives
> the backup has 5GB ram, the client has 12GB.

The OOM killer doesn't necessarily kill the program that uses the most
ram - it is somewhat random.  And it doesn't matter how much ram you
have, it is whether something/anything has used it all.  Does the
client ever use swap at all - and possibly enough to run out?

> It works one time, next full backup you have to stop. Then it works one
> time. And so on...

A bug in a particular version of rsync is always possible.  Is your
version up to date for the distribution?