BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] DNS problem Can someone explain

2011-12-19 15:35:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] DNS problem Can someone explain
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:33:54 -0600
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Michael Conner <mdc1952 AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the info. What I would also like to know is where DNS at the
> router level is even involved in the process. Why is DNS involved in backuppc
> making a connection with most windows clients, and why doesn't it cause a
> problem for the unix and mac clients?

It should need dns to resolve any name unless you check the dhcp box
or use an IP in the ClientAliasName setting.  Maybe it is working
correctly for the unix/mac targets.   You can use 'dig @nameserver_ip
target_name'  to diagnose your DNS servers.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011