BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] DNS problem Can someone explain

2011-12-19 12:33:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] DNS problem Can someone explain
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:32:25 -0600
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Michael Conner <mdc1952 AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> I run backuppc on about 15 computers and one networked Buffalo drive in a
> small museum. I've had it working well for about a year on an old computer
> running Centos 5.6 despite not knowing a great deal about Linux and
> networking, just the IT guy by default. The clients are mostly Windows XP,
> some Vista and Windows 7; also an iMac and a Centos web server. I've got
> DeltaCopy running on most of the Windows computers and use rsyncd; other
> windows use smb.
>
> Last week I had occasion to change the DNS servers used by our router from
> those hosted by the network that controls our T1 line to OpenDNS when
> exploring a problem unrelated to backuppc. However, after making the change,
> I saw that a lot of the backups were failing due to slow ping times. When I
> increased the ping wait, they failed with messages like: Error connecting to
> rsync daemon at educationoffice:873: inet connect: Connection timed out. The
> xfer log on the Buffalo said: timeout connecting to 67.215.65.132:445, which
> is related to a OpenDNS.The linux and mac clients had no problems; they use
> rsync for xfer method. The one Windows 7 machine, which uses smb, also
> worked. Pings and nmblookups run from the command line in Mac OS 10.6.8 also
> were fine.
>
> I changed the DNS servers back and everything is normal again.
>
> Can someone explain what was going on just for my edification?

That looks like you forgot to include your own domain in a 'search'
directive in your resolv.conf file when you changed nameservers.  Or
you were using a local dns server that handles an unregistered/private
domain and switched to something that only knows registered domains.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011