BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] empty files

2011-12-07 10:22:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] empty files
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:20:10 -0500
On 12/06 09:41 , Greer, Jacob - District Tech wrote:
> I greatly appreciate the information I looked and the data directory on the
> server has folders but no files best I can tell. I am new to Linux and
> BackupPC.  This is a OpenSuse11 install that I did not setup.  I am just
> trying to make it work.  I am thinking about re-loading the server and
> staring all over.

My experience has been that the Debian and Ubuntu BackupPC packages 'just
work' right after install, with little futzing necessary. I have taught SuSE
administration classes, and I far prefer Debian-based systems. I heartily
encourage you to try installing Debian or Ubuntu on some spare hardware and
experiment with it.

To test your backup process, you can try running the backup 'by hand' with a
command like the following:

/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_dump -f -v <hostname.domain.tld>

The path to the BackupPC_dump tool may be different on your system, but
that's the general invocation.

Note that:
* you must be running as the backuppc user when executing this command
* the name of the host (<hostname.domain.tld>) needs to be the same as in
 the /etc/backuppc/hosts file.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator