BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Are these folder/file names normal?

2011-12-02 12:48:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Are these folder/file names normal?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:47:28 -0500
Arnold Krille wrote at about 18:10:03 +0100 on Friday, December 2, 2011:
 > On Friday 02 December 2011 17:33:41 Igor Sverkos wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > today I browsed through the backup data folder. Is it normal that
 > > folders look like
 > >
 > >   /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/foo.example.org/252/f%2f/fetc
 > >                                          ^^^^ ^
 > > This is the backuped "/etc" folder from the foo.example.org (linux) host.
 > >
 > > Every folder/file is prefixed with a "f" char and I don't understand the
 > > folder name "f%2f". Doesn't look right to me.
 > >
 > > Every backed up host shows that...
 >
 > Thats perfectly normal. You will notice that file attributes are "wrong"
 > too.
 > That is because the attributes are stored separat. thus the f-prefix notes
 > that
 > this is a backuppc-thing. and f%2f is the notion of / in backuppc's own
 > "language".

The f-prefix is called f-mangling in backuppc language.
The f%2f is really f-mangling plus %2f which is really just standard
encoding for '/' -- other special characters are similarly encoded...

 > Of course this looks strange directly on the file-system. But you are not
 > supposed to use these file without the help of backuppc anyway.

backuppc-fuse mounts the backuppc backups using the fuse file system
which allows you to browse backups without the f-mangling and with the
proper file attributes and with incremental backups properly filled
using previous fulls/incrementals. You can then use standard *nix
tools to browse/access/manipulate the corresponding files.

The only downside is that it is a bit slow (but still faster than the
backuppc web interface) since each directory listing requires the
corresponding attrib file to be read, decompressed, and decoded.