BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500

2011-12-05 04:01:32
Subject: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500
From: umiwangu <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 00:57:26 -0800
Should I create a swap file?

--------------

Yes... if you can, add a partition swap, if not, just
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=1024 to create a file
with 1GB (1024 blocks of 1MB) of size, format it with
mkswap /swapfile and add it to the fstab and do a swapon /swapfile

Tune the size for what you want and your free space

Good luck
higuita

--------------

Higuita, I went ahead and ran the command on the server and it's been running
much better ever since (no more Internal Server Errors, swap file and memory
usages were each at about 50%). However, the server crashed last week and now I
see there isn't a swap file anymore.

I saved the command I entered before, plus the response. I wasn't quite sure
what you meant by fstab, so that didn't work. My apologies in advance for not
being more intuitive here.

Thanks

Seth

administrator@ubuntuserver ~ % sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M
count=1024
[sudo] password for administrator:
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 12.3777 s, 86.7 MB/s
1 administrator@ubuntuserver ~ % sudo mkswap /swapfile
mkswap: /swapfile: warning: don't erase bootbits sectors
        on whole disk. Use -f to force.
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1048572 KiB
no label, UUID=21754c5b-3a64-4bb8-b6a1-5c3603a24740
administrator@ubuntuserver ~ % sudo fstab
sudo: fstab: command not found
127 administrator@ubuntuserver ~ % sudo swapon /swapfile