BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Errors on Backup

2011-11-25 12:10:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Errors on Backup
From: jbk <jbk AT mail2.gis DOT net>
To: backuppc-user <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:09:02 -0500
On 11/23/2011 08:31 PM, jbk wrote:

BackupPC-3.2.1-6.el6.x86_64
> I have recently moved my server from Fedora to Scientific
> Linux 6.1 .
> I installed the backuppc binary from el6 and configured
> the system to use Mod_perl. At first the test back ups
> seemed to be working but when I try to do a full backup
> based on the host configuration files backuppc will only
> back up the root '/' file system. Partitions in fstab that
> are mounted at specific mount points return empty dumps.
> There are a number of error messages that have been
> recorded. The first is when I start backuppc:
>
> # /etc/init.d/backuppc start
> Starting BackupPC:
> [  OK  ]
> /etc/BackupPC//config.pl did not return a true value at -
> line 1.
> Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
> Try `grep --help' for more information.

This error went away. I'm not sure why. I did a Meld Diff of
my config.pl that was created in 2008 and the one that comes
with the this latest version and noticed some parameter
quoting changes like parameters that were numerical values
were no longer captured in ' ' single quotes. I didn't make
any changes to my config to reflect this.

> The following lines are the errors I get when backuppc
> attempts to descend into mountpoints. This occurs on the
> server as well as on network clients.
>
> full backup started for directory /data/bilbo (baseline
> backup #163)
> Running: /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender\
>  --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links\
> --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive\
> --one-file-system --exclude= --ignore-times . /data/bilbo/
> Xfer PIDs are now 29909
> Got remote protocol 30
> Negotiated protocol version 28
> Sent include: /bin
> Sent include: /boot
> Sent include: /data
> Sent include: /dev
> Sent include: /etc
> Sent include: /home
> Sent include: /lib
> Sent include: /lib64
> Sent include: /opt
> Sent include: /root
> Sent include: /sbin
> Sent include: /srv
> Sent include: /usr
> Sent include: /var
> Sent exclude: /*
> Sent exclude: cache
> Sent exclude: /data/bilbo/backup
> Sent exclude: /data/tmp
> Sent exclude: tmp
> Sent exclude: *.tmp
> Sent exclude: lost+found
> Sent exclude: /var/empty
> Sent exclude: /var/lock
> Sent exclude: /var/run
> Sent exclude: /var/spool
> Sent exclude: *.~
> Sent exclude: /sys
> Xfer PIDs are now 29909,29911
> [ skipped 1 lines ]
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share /data)
> Backup aborted (No files dumped for share /data)
> Saving this as a partial backup, replacing the prior one
> (got 110083 and 0 files versus 0)
> full backup started for directory /; updating partial #164
>
> #####################End of Output  #############
>
> I've tried to search the archives for relevant issues and
> haven't found a match to my problem.
> Just to reiterate the backups of the root file system are
> successful it is erroring out on the mounted sub-partitions.

OK I've done some testing by re-creating my per host config
file and have succeeded in backing up the sub-partitions. It
seems that the syntax has changed for the RsyncShareName and
BackupFilesOnly fields when using the CGI interface. I find
this interface not to be easy to understand below the
heading Include/Exclude. I assume for the shares listed
under RsyncShareName that I want to create a list of
subdirectories under BackupFilesOnly that correspond. There
is the _New_Key_ field with the _Add_  button following,
which is what I used to add the listing for each sub
directory to include. But, for each new listing I create a
whole new set of buttons appear along side. I've ignored
these for now as I don't have a whole lot of time to experiment.

So comparing my host.config.pl

2008 version

$Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {
      '*' =>[
        '/subdir1',
        '/subdir2',
        '/subdir3'
      ]
};

2011 version

$Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {
      '/subdir1' => [
        ' '
     ],
      /subdir2' => [
        ' '
      ],
      '/subdir3' => [
        ' '
      ]
};

So for what ever reason the new format works though the
commentary in the config.pl says that old 2008 version
should work also. I always use the CGI to create the
configurations, I assume there is less chance for error that
way.
  till next
     Jim Kelly-Rand